Simplex was founded in 1938 in Burlington, Iowa by Michael Debrey, a Hungarian immigrant. A self-taught inventor, Debrey introduced multiple innovations to the electrical engineering field, including the Automatic Voltage Regulator. Simplex was moved to East Moline, Illinois, where it remained until 1951, when the company relocated to Springfield.
Beginning in the late 1950s, Simplex expanded its product line to include packaged generator control units. These units ultimately evolved into the broad line of generator control panels and switchgear Simplex is known for today. In 1961, Simplex introduced the air cooled load bank.
Fuel Supply Systems
In 1964 Simplex introduced pre-wired, pre-plumbed day tanks, and in 1968, Simplex expanded their product line with an fuel filtration and supply systems.
Simplex currently has over 150 employees in our offices and manufacturing plant.